How to sign up to the Howlands Gym
You will need to complete the Howlands Gym Sign Up form that can be found here: https://forms.gle/gaubaR9A8ayTwoXNA
Currently, we share a gym with Josephine Butler called the Howlands Gym. See below for cost, sign up process, code of conduct, and more.
The cost is £40 for non-members and £20 for JCR members per academic year.
Howlands gym access can be added to your student card once you have completed the necessary procedures.
Once we have received confirmation of payment and we have the names of students signed up to use the gym, the JCR will get in contact to inform you of your allocated gym induction time. Prior to the gym induction taking place, each student must complete and sign the health declaration form.
Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct applies to both Colleges and is intended to establish an environment in which authorised users can use the facilities safely.
Taking part in physical activity is very safe for most people. However, some people should check with their doctor before they start increasing their activity levels. If any of the following apply, please talk with your doctor BEFORE you begin being more physically active:
• If you are over 69 and you are not used to being physically active
• If you have a heart condition or have you been told that you should only do physical activity recommended by a doctor
• If you feel any pain in your chest when taking part in physical activity
• If you lose your balance because of dizziness
• If you ever lose consciousness
• If you have a joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity
• If your doctor currently prescribing drugs (e.g. water pills) for blood pressure or a heart condition
• If you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity
Important points to note:
• You should delay becoming more active if you are not feeling well due to a temporary illness such as cold or fever – wait until you have recovered before you resume training.
• If you are or may be pregnant, talk to your doctor before becoming more active.
• If your health changes so that you then answer YES to any one of the above questions, tell your fitness instructor of health professional immediately – you may have to change your physical activity plan.
• The Gym is available only to members of Stephenson College and Josephine Butler College who are authorised and have completed an induction. Names will be provided by each College to the relevant porters.
• The Gym will be available 24 hours a day.
• Maximum of 25 users in the facility at any one time.
• In case of emergency call the porters on 47270 or 45485.
• Users must abide by all University, College and fitness club health and safety requirements. We do not take responsibility for members who decide to use the gym despite unsuitable health issues.
• The gym operations team has the right to refuse gym entry to any members who we feel are in danger of causing themselves or others harm.
• The Howlands Gym Governance Group has the right to revoke membership and impose penalties or fines dependent on the circumstances if a member is found to be misusing or damaging the facility.
CONDITIONS OF USE
• A minimum of two people must always be present when the gym is being used.
• When the last pair of users leave the gym, they must make sure that the door is locked behind them.
• Users must have clean hands and footwear and must wipe down kit after use.
• Users using the free weights must return them to their correct positions.
• No smoking or eating is permitted, and drinking is restricted to bottled water in the gym.
• During busy periods do not use any piece of equipment for more than 15 minutes.
• Users are asked to avoid disturbance to other users of the Howlands Building. When requested by porters noise must cease immediately.
• Users must not attempt to open, move, disconnect or in any way tamper with any of the facilities or equipment.
• Users must not remove or borrow equipment from the room.
AT THE END OF THE SESSION
• Users are asked to cooperate by leaving the gym tidy and must remove any personal belongings (including any equipment or clothing they have taken to the gym), placing any unwanted items in the waste bins provided.
REPORTING DAMAGES OR FAULTS
• Users must report any damages or faults in the gym to the porters.